7. ELIAS2 ROBERTS (Charles1) was born on 25 December 1823 Tennessee. He began military service on 16 May 1846 Huntsville, Walker County, Texas, enlisted in Captain James Gillaspie's Company of the First Regiment of Mounted Texas Riflemen Volunteers commanded by Colonel J.C. Hays, was mustered in at Point Isabel on the 9th of June, 'and was marched to the seat of war.' He was discharged at Camp Chusa near Monterey, Mexico on 11 September 1846. He participated in the 'Battle of Monterey' on 21 September 1846. He was mustered out of service on 2 October 1846. He reenlisted in Captain James Gillaspie's Company of the First Regiment of Texas Mounted Volunteers, informally known as Col. Curtis' Call, commanded by Colonel J.C. Hays for 6 mo. of service on 25 April 1847 San Antonio, Texas. He ended military service on 4 June 1847; and was mustered out. On the tax list Elias owned 2 horses valued at $125.00 and 35 head of cattle valued at $105.00 in December 1847 Walker County, Texas. In February 1849 Elias applied for bounty land under the Act of 1847 for service in the Mexican War, and in July 1849 he received $25.00 in bounty scrip in lieu of 40 acres of land Walker County, Texas. He appeared on the census of 1850 Leon County, Texas; single, working as a laborer in the Robert Lusk household. He married Stalira Palcy Baker Smith, daughter of John Smith and Polly Baker, on 23 June 1852 Walker County, Texas. On 4 November 1856 Huntsville, Texas, Elias Roberts applied for bounty land under the Act of March 3rd 1855 entitled 'An Act in addition to certain Acts granting Bounty Land to certain Officers and Soldiers who have been engaged in the military service of the United States.' at this time he was living in Limestone County. He received bounty warrant #91.511 for 120 acres of land for service in the War with Mexico on 12 March 1857 Walker County, Texas. He sold bounty warrant #91.511 to Arthur S. Wright for 'value received' who subsiquently located the warrant in Crawford County, Iowa in March 1858 on 23 July 1857 Walker County, Texas. On 17 November 1857 he received bounty warrant #424 for an additonal 40 acres of land for service in the Mexican War. There is no record as to what happened to this warrant Huntsville, Walker County, Texas. In May 1859 his wife Patsy died. He married Melvina Bowers on 25 April 1860 Marlin, Falls County, Texas; She was the widow of Lt. Johnson Bowers from Hempstead, Ar, who had died about a year earlier. He appeared on the census of July 1860 Galinda, Falls County, Texas; he was a farmer with $0 real estate and $500 personal property. Circa 1861 he was drafted as militia in the Confederate services but was discharged on account of disablity and disease previously contracted Falls County, Texas. He received aid under the Confederate Indigent Families Act, 'which the government pledged to support the families, widows and dependents of soldiers currently serving in the State or Conferderate forces, or of soldiers killed or disabled in service' between 1863 and 1865. He appeared on the census of 1880 Bremond, Robertson County, Texas; Working as a farmer with his wife Melvina and Alice, Clarinda and Clementine Judson, all orphans, and his nephew George Briggs. On 23 January 1887 Elias applied for a pension for service in the Mexican War, starting Dec 25, 1887, he received $8.00 per month under pension #17403. He died on 23 June 1896 Hockley, Harris County, Texas, at age 72.
STALIRA PALCY BAKER SMITH was born circa 1830 Texas. She died in May 1859.
Known children of Elias2 Roberts and Stalira Palcy Baker Smith both born Walker County, Texas, were as follows:
MELVINA BOWERS was born on 15 October 1826 Washington, Arkansas. She married Johnson Bowers circa 1850.
There were no known children of Elias2 Roberts and Melvina Bowers.
8. CHARLES C.2 ROBERTS (Charles1) was born on 7 May 1826 Tennessee. He married Emily Wells on 23 February 1849 Montgomery County, Texas. He appeared on the census of 1850 Walker County, Texas. He appeared on the census of 1860 Walker County, Texas. He appeared on the census of 1880 Harris county, Texas.
EMILY WELLS was born in 1828 Alabama.
Known children of Charles C.2 Roberts and Emily Wells all born Texas were as follows:
14. i. ISIAH3 was born in 1849.
+ 15. ii. RACHEL GEORGE ANNA.
+ 16. iii. LYDIA JANE.
+ 17. iv. NANCY M..
18. v. BRAZILIA was born in 1858.
19. vi. CHARLIE was born in 1862.
20. vii. VIRGINIA was born in 1865.
21. viii. JACKSON was born in 1867.
22. ix. ROBERT E. LEE was born in 1873.
Return to Table of Contents
Created by Genealogy Research and Family Tree Publishing .